The head office is now located at 100 Wood Street in London. The registered office is at Pixham End, Dorking in Surrey. It is a member of the Association of British Insurers and is regulated by the Financial Services Authority. It is listed on the London Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the FTSE 100 Index.
The Company was founded by Samuel Tuke and Joseph Rowntree, both Quakers, in 1832 in Bradford as the Friends Provident Institution. In 1854 it became a mutual life assurance company. In 1918 it acquired Century Insurance and in 1926 it bought Liverpool Marine & General Insurance.
In 1986 it merged with UK Provident. In 1992 it became a foundation partner in the Eureko Alliance in association with AVCB (The Netherlands), Topdanmark (Denmark) and Wasa (Sweden). As part of this alliance, Friends Provident passed all of its then non UK subsidiaries (primarily in Australia and Canada) into Eureko.
The UK Life and Pensions business markets a range of life protection, income protection, pensions and investment products for individual customers and corporate clients throughout the UK.
The International Life and Pensions business operates throughout Europe, Asia, and the Middle East, and incorporates the Luxemburg based company Lombard International who specialise in providing life assurance based estate planning solutions.
The Asset Management business - F&C Asset Management plc - manages funds and markets a range of investment products both to personal and institutional customers.
Members of the Friends Provident GroupEdit
- Friends Provident Life and Pension Limited - Provides life, pension and investment services within the UK
- Friends Provident Life Assurance Limited - Provides life and investment services worldwide under English and Guernsey law.
- Friends Provident International Limited - Formerly Royal and Sun Alliance International but was taken over in 2003. Provides life and investment services worldwide and operates under the law of the Isle of Man.
- F&C Asset Management plc - Provides asset management services for retail and institutional investors including investment management of "in-house" Friends Provident life and pension funds.
- Lombard International Insurance S.A. - Acquired in 2005, providers of high-end Investment and life cover. Inventors and developers of the privatbancassurance concept. Lombard is based in Luxembourg and deals globally.
Friends Provident has large offices in a number of locations including Manchester, Clyst St. Mary in Exeter and Dorking, and is the second largest employer in Salisbury. There are also a few smaller area offices such as those in Sale, Greater Manchester and Preston.
- Official UK site
- Official Socially Responsible Investment site
- Lombard's official site
- F & C official site
- International site
- Yahoo profile
- Cricket Micro site
- ↑ Milligan's Biographical dictionary of British Quakers in commerce and industry page 581. This refers to a history of the company: Friends for life by D. Tregonning and H. Cockrell (1982).
- ↑ Friends Provident History 1918-1945
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Friends Provident History 1980-1999
- ↑ Four European Insurers form Eureko
- ↑ Friends Provident backs IPO plan
- ↑ JC Flowers in £4bn bid for troubled Friends Provident, The Times, January 21, 2008
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Friends Provident Protection
- ↑ Friends Provident Funds
- ↑ Charities Aid Foundation article on the Stewardship Fund.
- ↑ Professional Cricketers Association
- ↑ Flybe sponsors Southampton